10/24/07

My neighbor"hood"

Quintana road is a very busy street, thousands of cars, trucks, diesels, vans, and buses zoom by every day. This is mainly because it’s on the developing south side of town, I see construction daily it has become a common part of this area. San Antonio has always been a humble city, the recent expanding companies are bringing money and jobs which is nice. There are plenty of areas to open a business on the long road of Quintana, most residents here already have. For business you can also look to the surrounding larger streets such as Bynum, Military drive, Southcross, and Cupples, which are highly successful areas as well.

Businesses and homes next door to one another, that’s how the established families here prefer to live, my family runs a business through our house, our neighbors have separate structures for their business and home. Sounds mixed but if you see it you will notice that it is a quite modest and clean neighborhood. The homes here consist of 3 bedrooms or more and the majority of the population is Hispanic.

Right in the middle of all the family businesses you can find Kelly USA. It was formerly Kelly Air Force Base but got shut down over the years. Now the grounds are a place for many businesses to operate. You can find big time companies here like Standard Aero and Boeing who utilize the hangars and airplanes. The city also set up works for the residents such as Kennedy Park, Dwight Middle School, Athens Elementary, and the South Side Recreation Center.

Kennedy Park is a fun place to go, it has a track, a soccer field, a swimming pool, a sandbox with tire swings, a baseball field, basketball courts and my favorite, tennis courts. Me and my friends like Martin, Julian, Alfredo, and Pete find ourselves passing time at Kennedy Park quite often. We all live in the same area and met when we were children at Athens Elementary. Now we’re grown up and attend Palo Alto College, except for Julian, he goes to Incarnate Word. Athens is about 5 minutes away and Palo Alto is about 20 minutes away.

Eventually I will have my own home even further away. But for now Quintana is my community, I have been living here my whole life. It is nice place to live not only because of the people but also the decent location near downtown. It takes me very little time travel wherever, unlike some of my classmates, who live in the surrounding towns. I suggest stopping by sometime. From tacos to tires, you can find it on Quintana road.

My Map:

Legend:
1* - Home
2* - Palo Alto College
3* - Kennedy Park